Top 5 Tips for Protecting Your New Porcelain Veneers
Congratulations – you just achieved the smile of your dreams with a new set of porcelain veneers. And, while your chipped, gapped or discolored teeth are now a thing of the past, you want to know how to care for your new veneers and keep your smile beautiful.
As a cosmetic dentist in Beverly Hills, patients are always asking me for tips! So, to get you started, here is our list of the Top 5 Tips for Protecting Your New Porcelain Veneers:
- Maintain good oral hygiene. New veneers are white and beautiful. The only way to keep them that way is with good oral hygiene. And, remember, just because you have veneers now doesn’t mean you’re immune to tooth decay and other serious dental problems. Follow a good oral hygiene regimen that includes regular brushing, flossing and good nutrition.
- Avoid very hard or crunchy foods. While we’re on the subject of nutrition, let’s take a look at one of the biggest enemies of veneers: very hard or crunchy foods. Veneers – though strong – are not as strong as your natural teeth. As such, be sure to avoid exceptionally hard or crunchy foods – hard candy, ice, etc.
- Kick the habit. While they’re certainly resistant to it, porcelain veneers are not impervious to discoloration. And, when it comes to tooth staining, cigarette smoke is one of the biggest culprits. Kick the habit today! Also try and avoid foods and drinks that could stain your veneers – black coffee, red wine, etc.
- Watch for signs of tooth grinding. Bruxism is a medical condition, characterized by severe tooth grinding and jaw clenching. Since veneers aren’t indestructible, patients should be careful to look out for any damaging signs of tooth grinding. These include worn teeth, jaw pain and tooth sensitivity.
- Schedule regular dental visits. Perhaps the most important tip of all is to schedule regular dental check-ups. Not only can we catch any signs of tooth decay early, but we can inspect your veneers to make sure they’re in tip-top condition.
Veneers in Beverly Hills
To learn more about dental veneers and what they can do for your smile, contact us today. Our offices are located in Beverly Hills, and you can schedule an appointment at (310) 273-0111. We look forward to meeting you.
Category: Porcelain Veneers